By : Jyotribid Dr. Pradeep Kumar Choudhury
Thy name Jagannath is Universally popular not only among Hindus as their prime deity but also it is equally popular among other religion. The ward Jagannath is a combination of two words Jagat + Nath. “Jagat” means the Universe “Nath” means the Lord. It represents that Jagannath is the Lord of the Universe. Perhaps it is the only Hindu God, who represents the Universe and equally popular irrespective of caste, creed and religion.
Jagannath is the symbol of unity and integrity of the all religions of the world. He neither represents any religion, division, caste, region nor any country. He is above all. Jagatguru Adi Sankarachariya given privilege to the four holy places of India Known as “Chaturdham”. In the east it is Puri, in the west it is Dwaraka, in the north it is Badrinath and in the south it is Rameswaram. In the concept of Adi Sankarachariya, Puri is the prime and the foremost Dham among the four Dhams. The name of this Dham is otherwise known as “Mukti Dham” and “Baikuntha Dham” and it has its own special peculiarities. In this holy place Bhakta Salabega, Dasia Bauri, Bandhu Mohanty, guru Nanak, Jayadev, Gannapati Bhatta, Adi Sankarachariya has their special emotions. This Dham of Lord Jagannath, Puri, has its own specialities which are not found in any other God or Goddesses of other religions.
The special quality of this Dham is that it has no similarities with any Temple, Church, Masjid, Girja of any religion.
- The first and foremost speciality of Lord Jagannath is that he is made up of a piece of Neem tree, what we called “Daru” or “Mahadaru” and the Lord is known as “Daru Debata”. The other deities are made with clay, rock or metals.
- Secondly, in the world not only in Hindu but also in any other religion there is no concept of changing of body, what is known as “Ghatta Parivartan” or “Nabakalebar” except Lord Jagannath. In between 15 to 18 years of interval, when the month of “Ashad” is doubled in a calender year, that year is earmarked for the changing of the “Ghatta” or the change of the body of Lord Jagannath. Lord Jagannath leaves the old body and accepts a new body.
- Thirdly, except Lord Jagannath Dham in other places the Gods are worshipped with their co-partner as Radha-Krishna, Rama-Sita, Laxmi-Narayan, Shiv-Parvati, where as in this Dham Lord Jagannath is worshipped with his elder brother “Balabhadra” known as “bada Thakura” and younger sister known as “Subhadra”. It represents the universal brotherhood and human unity and integrity. Perhaps Swami Vivekananda has learned the concept of universal brotherhood from this Dham, what he addressed in the Chicago World Religion Conference as “my dear brothers and sisters”.
- Fourthly, Lord Jagannath is the only deiety who is uncompleted. Lord Jagannath has no leg, arm, ear but Jagannath is the first and the last God to give penance or “Mokhya”, that is why the sacred land Puri is universally popular as the “Mukti Dham”. So it is called as a point of full stop for devotion and fulfillment.
- Fifthly, no God in the universe leaves his Peetho (original place) except Lord Jagannath. In the “Ashadha” Sukla Dwitiya or the second day of “Ashadha” Lord Jagannath with his younger sister Subhadra, elder brother Lord “Balabhadra” and “Sudarshan” sits in three chariots known as “Nandighosh”, “Darpadalan” and “Taladhwaj” and it is one of the biggest festival of the world, popularly known as car festival. The deities left the temple runs in a chariot pulled by the devotees irrespective of caste, creed, colour and religion, which laid the foundation of Indian Democracy.
- Sixthly, during the car festival the king of Puri sweeps the cars as servant of Lord Jagannath, which represents the king & the subjects and God are in a single line.
- Seventhly, here in a calender year, one can not have the Darshan of Lord Jagannath for the entire period because in a calender year before the car festival Lord Jagannath goes for “Anabasara” or “Anasara” which is known as period for the rest of deities or in our local tradition Lord were suffering from fever due to heavy bath on the “Debasnanapurnima”. During this period Ayurvedic treatment has done by the Daitapatis to the deities. So the devotees can have their darshan of the “Patta Dian” that is the replica of the Lords painted in bamboo-fabricated panels and it is worshiped and presented for the darshan of general public. During this period only the Daitapatis or the Sevakas do the duties of the Lord.
- Lord Jagannath’s festival goes for nine days, which represents nine planets. As we know from Kalidas’s “Uttar Kalamrutta” that there are only seven planets. By taking seven planets seven days are named. Later on two shadow planets included in the study of Astrology known as Rahu and Ketu. They are known as nodal planets or half-made planets. The nine days car festival or Lord Jagannath represents Nabagraha. It is a belief in the Hindu tradition those who have darshan of Lord Jagannath during the car festival including the first and last days or the return yatra, will free from the clutches of Nabagraha. That man will be blessed or booned from Jagannath in the from of Nabagraha and will be free from the chain of the mndane world or “Maya”.
- Lastly, Jagannath is the only God in this Universe without any gender and is called as genderless God. Jagannath represents “Parambrahma” or “Paramatma” because Atma or Brahma has no gender.
Some says Lord Jagannath is the black planet Saturn, some says he is the “Kali”, the force and source of feminine, others says he is the Brahma, Vishnu, Maheswar or Shristi, Sthithi and Bilaya, some says that Jagannath as “Kala” means “time” as “time” has no gender, some says he is “Maha Vishnu” or “Purusottam” the best in human form.
Shree Jagannath not only only associated with religion but also related with Literature. Art, Politics, Culture, Science, Economics, Astrology, Vastu, Tantra, Mantra and Jantra. In a nutshell Lord Jagannath is the lifeblood of each study and is a subject starting from the cosmic world to small molecular spirit.
The study of Lord Jagannath originates with the origin of the Universe. In the opinion of the Astrologers or the Astro-scientist there are nine planets, Rabi, Chandra, Mangal, Budha, Bruhaspati, Sukra, Sani, Rahu and Ketu known as Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, Rahu and Ketu.
These planets are influencing the life of living earth that is “Prithivi”. These planets completely influencing the living world and the living beings of the universe. Lord Jagannath being a Lord of Universe, is directly or indirectly related with this Astro-solar system such as :
- The two big rounded eyes of Lord Jagannath representing the Sun and the Moon that is the Surya and Chandra.
- Blood red lips of Lord Jagannath represents for Mangal or Mars.
- In the Chariot Jagannath in the form of “Bamana” represents “Budha” (the dwarf planet) or you can call the symbol of wisdom and knowledge.
- In yellow clothes and golden decorated costumes Lord Jagannath represents as Bruhaspati.
- The quality of art of love of Jagannath represents for Venus.
- The black colour of Lord Jagannath represents Saturn.
- The uncompleted body of Lord Jagannath represents the uncompleted planets Rahu and Ketu.
Thus Jagannath represents for the universe or “Brahmanda”. The “Tini Thakura” or three deities known as Jagannath, Balabhadra and Subhadra represents for Lagna, Rashi and Nakshyatra (the Ascendent, the Moon sign and the Star sign) or Jivan, Jouban and Mrutyu, (life, youth and death) or Jala, Sthala and Akasha, (Land, Water and Sky) the Day, Evening and Night. Also Lord Jagannath is called as the Lord of Creation, Operation and Destruction. It says that the entire study of the universe comes under the study of cosmic science. The cosmic science begins and ends with Lord Jagannath.
In a concluding remark I can say Astrology originated with the study of cosmic ray of the planets and its colour. Again it comes under the study of Lord Jagannath. Being as an Astrologer of this State of Orissa. I am proud enough to represent Lord Jagannath in Astrological concept. As you know the greated Indian Astronomer and Mathematician Aryabhatta given the concept of Zero to the world. Astrology is also study of Zero. Shape of earth is like Zero, Sun is like Zero and Moon is like Zero so all the planets are like Zero.
Zero plus Zero is Zero
Zero minus Zero is Zero
So Jagannath is made of two big Zeros and it is equal to Zero. So Jagannath represents “Sunya” or “Nothingness” as :
Sunya to Mahasunya
Mahasunya to Lina
Lina to Brahma
Brahma to Parambhrahma
Parambrahma to Mukti or Mokshya.
So Jagannath is “Purnna Brahma” or “nothingness of the nothingness”
“Om Purna Madah Purna Midam Purnat Purna Mudachyatee”
“Purnasya Purna Madaya, Purna Meba Basisyatee”
The study of Astrology is uncompleted without referring Vastu, Jantra, Mantra and Tantra. If you look at the geographical area of the country or the Vastu of our country, it is completely a failure. So our social, economic and other conditions in all aspects are not highly developed. Except temple of Lord Jagannath the directions of Vastu of our country are failure. The biggest kitchen ovan of the world is in the south east corner of Lord Jagannath temple and it is also located on the south east corner of our country it means “Agnee” in the “Agneeya Kona”. So it is balancing our unbalanced Vastu. So the Bharat Boomi has its unity and integrity in all respects.
In terms of Mantra, Jantra and Tantra Lord Jagannath is known as Parambrahma. Brahma is the only Universal truth other things are myth. But it is the only truth that Brahma has no shape, no colour, no gender and out of imagination what Jagannath represents for.
The cosmic energy originated from universe and the universe originated from Lord Jagannath. Lord Jagannath is the first and the last study of Jantra, Mantra & Tantra. The occult study begins and ends with Lord Jagannath.
The Budhist Philosophy surrenders here as the Budhist says that Lord Jagannath as the incarnation of Budha. It was also recorded Lord Jishu Christ came to Puri before crucificaiton. Guru Nanak, Sankaracharya, Jay Deva, Chaitanya had got their devine source of energy from the Prime God Lord Jagannath.
Here the study of Astrology opens its preface from the sacred sands of “Bada Danda” (Big Yard) and also ends with there.
Astrology is Jagatmay
Jatatmay is Jagannath
So Jagannth is Astrology
Astrology is Jagannath.
Qtr. No.- VA-34/4,
Unit – II, Bhubaneswar,
Odisha – 751009-